The Sant’Agostino auction house and art gallery was founded by Pier Carioggia, in Turin in 1969; The auction house was first located in via Sant'Agostino 5, hence the auction house's name.
During 1977 Pier Carioggia began to collaborate with Giorgio Circosta, taking him very soon into partnership. The association between the two friends, which grew stronger after 30 years, was abruptly interrupted by the unexpected death of Giorgio Circosta, on October 2007.
Meanwhile, in 1983, they moved the art gallery few blocks away from the previous premises, in corso Siccardi 15. Though more elegant and wider, the new office did not grant to hold an auction. Consequently, the exhibitions and the auction sessions continued to be held in a big theater or in the meeting rooms of a Grand Hotel. It was inevitable to purchase a spacious building, suitable for an auction house, in which hosting an ever-growing amount of goods and directly mounting an exhibition or organizing the auction rounds. The first auction held in Corso Tassoni 56 was the 45th and took place in the last days of May 1993.
Since then, the Sant'Agostino auction house met with considerable success, hosting in its auctions an ever-growing number of remarkable works of art. By way of example, let's remember the extraordinary "Ingegnere" by Sironi, the famous oil on canvas painted in 1928, which was sold at 450.000,00 €, during the 84th auction held on the 17th November 2003.
Sant’Agostino's auctions, though being still very specialized in 19th/20th century paintings and sculptures, as well as contemporary paintings, expanded its competences to fields such as design, 20th century decorative arts, silverware, jewels watches, antique paintings, furnishings and household goods, achieving great results both for the lots sold and the clearing prices which, not infrequently, multiplied the estimates.
During more than 40 years, Sant'Agostino's auctions has sold more than 70.000 lots and has been repaid by its clientele which appreciate the extreme and well-known solidity.